What is Ménière’s Disease and can a Chiropractor Help?
Ménière’s Disease is an inner ear problem that affects your hearing and balance. Research has found that the cause of Ménière’s Disease is directly related to a build up within the inner ear. Essentially, the passageways within the ear canal become blocked and fluid builds up behind these blockages. That said, the disease itself can develop very quickly and symptoms may present themselves rapidly.
Meniere’s Disease commonly targets both males and females over the age of forty, however there have been cases in which children can be affected as well. Approximately 6 million Americans are affected by this disease on a daily basis.
Common symptoms of Ménière’s Disease include:
- Sudden falling and complete loss of balance
- Tinnitus, a low roaring, ringing, or hissing in your ear
- Hearing loss, which may be temporary or permanent
- Vertigo, the feeling that you or your surroundings are spinning
- Nausea and exhaustion
How the Pierce Clinic of Chiropractic Can Help
The Pierce Clinic of Chiropractic uses a revolutionary healthcare procedure called the Advanced Orthogonal technique. This procedure identifies subtle misalignments of the top vertebrae in the neck, and corrects them using a percussion-wave adjustment. Due to the proximity of these bones to the brain stem area, this procedure can help with a wide variety of conditions.
The common link among all of the symptoms of Ménière’s Disease (Tinnitus, loss of hearing, pressure in the ears, and Vertigo) is a structure in the ear called the Vestubulocochlear nerve. This nerve starts in the brainstem and is responsible for processing hearing and balance information. Dysfunction to this nerve can lead to any or all of the above symptoms.
Not only is the Upper Cervical spine in close proximity to these structures, but it is also directly involved in balance as well. A 1998 study from the Cranio journal found a very high association between dysfunction of the Upper Cervical spine and the diagnosis of Ménière’s disease. Because of these similarities, many patients with Ménière’s disease and similar symptoms have showed tremendous symptomatic relief from precise adjustments used by the Advanced Orthogonal care at the Pierce Clinic of Chiropractic. In fact, a 2008 study in the Journal of Vertebral Subluxation Research found that 100% of cases of Ménière’s disease showed symptomatic improvement or total resolution during a period of Upper Cervical chiropractic care.
- WebMD: http://www.webmd.com/brain/tc/menieres-disease-topic-overview
- Cervical signs and symptoms in patients with Meniere’s disease: a controlled study. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9852812
- Dr. Michael Burcon: Upper Cervical Protocol to Reduce Vertebral Subluxation in Ten Subjects with Meniere’s: A Case Series. http://ww1.prweb.com/prfiles/2010/11/01/4183644/menieres1.pdf